Sandtray Therapist Certification
Since 2009, Sandtray Therapy Institute (STI) has offered intensive sandtray therapy training that allows practitioners to obtain Sandtray Therapist Certification. Participants who meet the requirements and complete the necessary training and supervision will be eligible to become Certified Humanistic Sandtray Therapists (CHST©). Based on an experiential training model developed by STI, trainees have the opportunity to learn how to process sandtrays effectively by facilitating a feeling-based, here and now experience with clients.
There are two levels of certification: Level I-Skill Training and Level II-Advanced.
Level I: The training is offered on the weekend to allow practitioners and advanced students the flexibility that many need to complete the certification. Participants who complete this training will receive a Level I-Skills Training Certificate.
Level II: After completing Level I, therapists can continue to pursue certification by participating in advanced training. Both group and individual supervision are a part of Level II. Level I and II must be completed to become a CHST©.
Level I (Skill Training), January 31-February 1, 10:00-5:00.
Humanistic sandtray therapy training and supervision will help trainees to:
1. Become more self-aware and grow personally
2. Become more centered and grounded as a therapist
3. Work effectively in the here and now with clients. The trainer will provide live demonstrations that show trainees how to stay with feelings, go deeper into the client’s awareness and work effectively with clients who stop their feelings.
4. Understand ethical considerations when working in the here and now
5. Better understand how clients grow and change
6. Integrate the skills learned into a unique style of therapy that fits each trainee’s personality
7. Practical steps/procedures to follow in conducting a sandtray therapy session
Group supervision is included in the Level I Certification Training.
An experiential model of training will be utilized that includes instructor demonstration, live processing of recorded sessions, practicing humanistic sandtray therapy processing skills with a partner, observation of and reflection about practice sessions to facilitate growth and learning.
All training and supervision will be provided by Stephen A. Armstrong, Ph.D., LPC-S, RPT-S. Steve has trained over 200 masters, post-masters, and doctoral students as well as licensed practitioners in the use of sandtray. Over the past eight years he has developed the humanistic therapy method of processing sandtrays with clients and has written a book, Sandtray Therapy: A Humanistic Approach, which includes a DVD in high definition that demonstrates the approach with an actual adult client.
Applications are now being accepted for our January 31-February 1 Level I training. Space is limited; only eight participants will be accepted for the January training. The fee for the two-day training is $295 for students and $395 for professionals, due upon acceptance to the training.
Fill out application HERE.
*** Email completed application as a Word file to: email@example.com ***